If you're moving to a different country, it's always good to know how to get the local driving licence.

If you don't know what to do or where to go, this guide will help you out! In it we'll explain how things work in Portugal and Sweden and what documents are required for getting a driver's licence in these countries!

1. What is the legal criteria to get a driver's licence in Portugal?

The legal age for driving a car in Portugal is 18, though you can start learning how to drive at 16 years of age. The physical fitness criteria that must be met include:

  • Eyesight: Must not have less than 20/30 vision in both eyes and not be colour blind (unless you are applying for an international licence).
  • Hearing: Must not have hearing loss that interferes with understanding spokenlanguage.

You can apply online or at one of the many local offices for a carteira de motorista Portuguesa by filling out an application form and submitting required documents such as proof of identity, proof of residence, and payment.

2. Which languages are accepted for the driving tests in Portugal?

If you want to pass the test in any of these languages, you'll need to make sure that your chosen language is available at your local testing centre. You can do this by contacting them directly or checking their website for information on what languages they offer.

If you already know which language(s) you'd like to take the driving test in, then great! You just need to select one of those options when booking your appointment online. If not, don't worry—you can choose one when it comes time for your exam itself!

3. How to convert or exchange your foreign driving licence in Portugal?

The process of obtaining a Portuguese driver's licence is quite similar to the procedure for exchanging a foreign driving licence in Portugal. The main difference between these two procedures is that if you want to obtain a Portuguese driving licence, you have to take some tests and pass them successfully.

In order to exchange your foreign driving licence in Portugal, all that you need to do is submit an application form along with all the required documents at the CTT (Carros Táxis Turismo) office or at one of their representatives throughout the country (you can find more information here).

The procedure may vary slightly depending on where you live in Portugal but generally speaking, here are some common steps:

  • You will need two passport photos;
  • You will also have to fill out an application form;
  • You must submit proof that you hold a valid driver's licence (e-mail confirmation from DSA)!

4. Is it legal to drive with a foreign driver's licence in Sweden?

Yes, you can drive with a foreign driver's licence in Sweden. However, the validity of your foreign driver's licence will depend on the country or state where it was issued.

If your foreign driver's licence is issued by a country or state that has signed an agreement with Sweden, or if the agreement applies to all countries or states regardless of whether they have signed it, then you can drive in Sweden for three months on this document alone.

After three months have passed and you still have not converted your foreign driver’s licence into Swedish one – get ready to be stopped by police officers who will ask if there are any reasons why you cannot convert your passport into Swedish one (e.g., being unable to speak Swedish).

5. What is the procedure to convert a foreign driving licence into Swedish driving licence in Sweden?

In order to convert your foreign driving licence into a Swedish one, you will need to visit a Swedish embassy or consulate.

You will need to present both your passport and your current driver's licence. You will also have to prove that you are able to read and write in Swedish by taking a written test. The practical test takes place on the same day if all goes well but it can take up to 30 days for approval before it is completed.

If all goes well, then you will be issued an International Driving Permit which allows you to drive on any of Sweden’s roads for up to one year from the date of issue without having undergone any formal training program or passed an exam required by law within that period.

6. How long can you use your native driver's licence after moving to Sweden?

If you are moving to Sweden and want to drive a car, then it's important that you know how long you can use your native driver's licence.

After six months of living in the country, it is mandatory for all Swedish citizens as well as foreigners who live in Sweden permanently or temporarily. In case if an individual leaves his/her native country before six months passes then they have to exchange their driver's licence with a Swedish one within three months after arriving in Sweden.

After three months of arrival at any city or town in Sweden without obtaining proper authorization from the authorities concerned about driving on public roads with foreign licences will lead them into trouble.

7. Some other points, which you should keep in mind before moving to Portugal and Sweden!

  • Check the validity of your passport and visa.
  • Check the validity of your driver's licence.
  • Check the validity of your insurance.
  • Check the validity of your car registration.
  • Check the validity of your car insurance.
  • Check the validity of your international driving permit, if you have one (it is recommended).

8. Before moving abroad, check all the legal documents which are necessary for your work, studies and driving!

Before moving abroad, check all the legal documents which are necessary for your work, studies and driving!

  • Establishing a business in Portugal or Sweden? Check the legal documents for opening a company.
  • Studying in Portugal or Sweden? Check if you need any additional documents to get enrolled in a university.
  • Driving a car in Portugal or Sweden? Make sure that you have all required licences before driving on foreign roads.


We hope that this article has helped you to understand the process to köpa körkort i sverige or even Portugal. It is important to check all the legal documents which are necessary for your work, studies and driving!